The Task: Okay, we didn't get rid of the whole bed. Just the bed frame.
The Why: There isn't any deep spiritual meaning or underlying concern for the environment on this one....I was just really sick of cleaning under the bed. I hate how dust accumulates there. Why not just ditch the dust bunny zoo altogether and be done with it? Sounds like a good step to a simpler life to me!
Here's what it looked like under our bed the day we decided to ditch the bed frame. I think I see a corn chip. Ewww.
I've wanted to do this for ages,and I finally got hubby on board.We removed the bed frame a few days ago and so far we love sleeping closer to the floor!
- No more dust gathering under the bed.
- No more socks disappearing under the bed.
- No bed skirt to wash.
- The bed is easier to make, no tucking necessary.
- If I don't make the bed very nicely and just throw the duvet cover over everything haphazardly it looks more like a spread from the Anthropologie catalogue than a big ugly mess.
- It's safer for the kids who climb into our bed in the wee hours of the night and occasionally engage in middle of the day tickle fights, wrestling matches and unsanctioned trampoline competitions on our bed.
- I like the relaxed bohemian sort of look it gives to our bedroom
- The bed doesn't make any noise when we, um, you know....
- It's a little unconventional (which isn't exactly a big motivator for us anyways).
Also, we found we weren't using our nightstands for much (and they were too high without the bed frame raising the bed up) so we replaced them with one little basket to keep the books we are currently reading. We had a sofa table in there too because we had nowhere else to put it...we got rid of that as well. The only furniture left in our bedroom is the bed and one dresser. I love how big and open and relaxing it feels!
The Verdict: I realize this isn't for everyone, but I am thrilled to not have to clean under the bed anymore or squirm under there in search of lost socks. Why keep something that just adds unnecessary mess and work to my life?
We are doing one small thing every day for a year to create a simpler, quieter, more intentional life. Take a moment to read all About Us, check out The Rules of our year long project and sign up for our RSS feed or "like" us on facebook so that you can follow our journey to radical simplicity!